Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Lost in Translation

V* and I were exploring Oaxaca with her family. I decided to make the most out of our daily excursions by practicing Spanish at every opportunity.

One day we took a “collectivo” bus to Teotitlan del Valle to see the fine rugs woven there. Next to me on the bus was a young local man. Sensing my sincere interest in his background, he talked openly about himself including his study of architecture.

Things were going very well, or so I thought. I mentioned that my father- in-law was also an architect and that he lived on a farm in Virginia with horses and....I couldn't think of the word for "deer." Undaunted, I continued with a bit of pantomime: you know, I said, the forest animal with---and here I placed my hands on each side of my head, palms facing him with fingers extended----“con HORNOS en la cabeza.” He looked first at the hand antlers, then at me, then apprehensively back at the antlers. You know, “HORNOS,” I repeated, wiggling my fingers. His body language now suggested spreading alarm.

Just then the driver called our stop. As we got off I waved farewell to my bewildered friend who offered in response only a tentative nod of his head. I then realized I had just tried to convince him that in the woods of Virginia there are animals with OVENS on their heads.

So much for being an effective ambassador-at-large.

No comments:

Post a Comment